One Million Oregonians Qualify for the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program. Do you?
01. The Process
The Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP) is a program run by the Oregon Health Authority to facilitate access to medical marijuana for Oregonians living with certain debilitating medical conditions. Full program details including forms, FAQs and complete rules are on the OHA website - we're just breaking down the basics. In order to enroll in the program:
- The patient must be seen by a physician who certifies the existence of the debilitating condition
- The patient must fill out OMMP application, designate a grower or caregiver (if desired) and pay enrollment fee
- Renew enrollment annually
Any adult over the age of 21 can purchase cannabis in Oregon, but enrollees of the OMMP program can access additional benefits with their card. Benefits of the card include:
-Ability to purchase marijuana products tax free at all Oregon dispensaries (savings of up to 20%)
-Ability to participate in free marijuana product donation programs
-Ability to purchase products with higher THC concentrations (medical grade products)
-Ability to purchase and possess more cannabis flower per visit or per month than adult use consumers
02. Qualifying Conditions
Qualifying conditions for the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program are:
- A degenerative or pervasive neurological condition
- HIV or AIDS
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- A medical condition or treatment for a medical condition that produces one or more of the following:
- Cachexia (weight loss that can be caused by HIV or cancer)
- Severe pain
- Severe nausea
- Seizures, including but not limited to seizures caused by epilepsy
- Muscle spasms, including, but not limited to spasms caused by multiple sclerosis
Enrolling in the OMMP means you do not pay sales tax at any Oregon dispensary. This can save you money on each purchase of cannabis from dispensaries, however, the program does come with up-front costs at enrollment.
-Standard OMMP application fee: $200
-Reduced application fees are available for
-SNAP recipients: $60
-Oregon Health Plan members: $50
-SSI recipients: $20
-Annual medical appointment with certifying physician (estimate)**: $150
-Grow site registration fee (if growing for self and not exempt): $200
The calculator below may help you determine if the OMMP program can save you money over the course of annual enrollment.
OMMP cardholders do not pay sales tax at any Oregon dispensary. If the amount you typically spend in sales taxes is more than the cost of a card, the OMMP program might be a good option for you.
Enter your spending for a typical month and your cardholder fee category. Compare the 'sales tax paid annually' field to the 'annual cost of OMMP card' field.
This calculator assumes 20% sales tax and does not include grow site fees.
04. Find a Certifying Physician
As a patient, you can ask your primary care physician to certify you for the OMMP or you can see a physician who specializes in this service. Be sure to call ahead of your appointment - you may need to transfer medical records and bring in specific documentation for your application. The Client Centered Network maintains a directory of physicians who specialize in this service in Oregon. The directory is for information only, is not an endorsement of any provider and is not an exhaustive list of providers.
* Qualifying condition estimate based on CDC morbidity and mortality report of chronic pain, high impact chronic pain, and the Oregon state cancer profile from the National Cancer Institute and Oregon census data through July 2019
**Estimate from Oregon Cannabis Commission Report to legislature January 2019.